Xonotic is a fast paced free, open-source first person shooter (arena style) licensed under the GNU General Public License. Xonotic places focus on community involvement as its principal driving force and structures itself to respect that. The aim of Xonotic is to become the best possible open-source FPS of its kind. It combines addictive, arena-style gameplay with rapid movement and a wide array of weapons and game modes. Moreover, rule alternations can be made easily by using so-called mutators.
Gameplay is possible either everyone against everyone or with 2-4 teams and can be played online or against bots.
These are the main game modes without teams:
- Deathmatch: Kill as many enemies as possible
- Last Man Standing: Each player starts with many weapons and a couple of lives. Players who lost all their lives are eliminated and the last surviving player wins
- Keepaway: A ball drops somewhere in the arena, hold the ball and kill others to score
- Race: The goal is not to kill, but to run through a parcours faster than everyone else
These are the maine game modes for team-based play:
- Team Deathmatch: Kill as many enemies as possible to help your team to victory
- Capture the Flag: Each team has a flag. Steal the flag of the enemy team and bring it to your own
- Freeze Tag: Kill enemies to freeze them, stand near frozen team mates to revive them. Freeze all enemies to score
- Key Hunt: One player in each team gets a key. To score, your team has to collect all keys by killing the other key carriers and then join all keys together
- Clan Arena A round-based game. Dead players stay dead for the round; kill all enemies to be the last surviving team
- Domination: Domination points are scattered through the arena, both team have to own them by running into them and holding position. Score points by owning domination points and keeping them
- Onslaught: Each team has a generator which must be defended at all cost, but it starts with a shield. Capture control points and fight your way to the enemy's generator and destroy it
- Assault: There are two teams: Attacking and defending. The defending team must defend a core and has several lines of defense, the attacking team must break through the defenses by destroying them in order to finally destroy the core as fast as possible
The main focus of Xonotic lies on online multiplayer, but singleplayer games against bots in different difficulty levels are also possible. The game features a campaign where you play the various game modes against bots.
Xonotic is seen as the direct successor of Nexiuz Classic (formerly known as “Nexuiz”).